Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A NIGHT AT STARDUST DISCOTHEQUE (circa 1986)

((((UPDATED!!! please click on sound file link to download- 08/29/11))))

"A Night at the Stardust Discotheque" was a tape I found in the Pigalle section of Paris being sold by some dirty old man in a shoe shop around 6 years ago. I think he wanted like 10 euro for it, but I knocked him down to 5. The cover itself was immediately interesting to me being it composed of three Asian men dressed in futuristic dojo outfits standing in a psychedelic disco. After some further investigation I learned that this was a DJ mix tape from a discotheque in Jakarta, Indonesia called "Stardust" circa 1986. The music contained therein was a great mix of some well known and not so well known Italo-Disco, Euro-Synth and early Freestyle. Highlights are many. I encourage you to listen to the entire thing.

This has been a great companion throughout my travels and here I humbly offer it to you.


A Night at Stardust- SIDE 1 by looksee

SIDE 1
1. MODERN TALKING Atlantis is Calling (S.O.S. for love)
2. ALICE'S WONDERLAND Stop the Rain
3. VALERIE CLAIRE Shoot me Gino
4. ROBERT GRACE A Dream
5. THAI BREAK Flower in the Rain
6. KELLY BROWN Only you can (You Make Me Feel)
7. GIPSY QUEEN Gipsy and Queen
8. SOLID STRANGER Music in the Night
9. MAGAZINE 60 Rendez Vous La Costa Delsol
10. TRILLON Belgian Girl
11. WO YEH YEH Give this Heart
12. LOS GRACIA Senor Ali Baba
13. ALPHAVILLE Dance with Me (extended dance mix)


A Night at Stardust- SIDE 2 by looksee

SIDE 2
1. THE REAL THING You to Me are Everything
2. TAVARES Heaven Must be Missing an Angel
3. FANCY Bolero (Hold me in your Arms Again)
4. ALBERT ONE Secrets
5. MONTE KRISTO Sherry Mi Sai
6. FINZY KONTINI O La La
7. TAFFY I Love my Radio
8. ALAN BARRY Come On
9. THE GRENCH COMPANY Lorenda
10. SCOTCH Mirage
11. LOS BRAVOS Black is Black
12. LINDA JO RIZZO You're my first, You're my last
13. MECANNO Activate my heart

12 comments:

  1. Whoa!!! I just found this page...and I am SO disappointed that the music's gone! I grew up with this tape. My parents used to play it at my kiddie birthday parties back in the mid-80's. The version we had of it had a different cover but the songs are the same.
    I would be forever grateful if you could either put it back up or send it to me.
    Pleeeeease....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too....I had the same cassette tape back in the 80's. Would appreciate if you could post a downloadable mp3 file. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the DJ on that tape is Dj Steven Foe or Dj Adam Jagwani.... That's early mixing tape published @ that time....

    ReplyDelete
  4. wwwoowwww...
    i live in Jakarta, Indonesia.
    i had the same cassette, same cover. my father bought it when i was a kid.
    the three men are DJ Oemar, DJ Steven and DJ Adams.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is there anybody out there who owns the other Stardust Disco cassettes? I remember some of the songs in those are "Cause You are Young" by CC Catch, "Swiss Boy" by Lou Sern, "Touch by Touch" by Joy. I like the music arrangement of those cassettes. I hope someone can post them. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG... it's like discovering treasure after all these years. Thank you so much bro...

    ReplyDelete
  8. K-nick is uploading those and more on Mixcloud https://www.mixcloud.com/sudirman-podungge/

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so cool! I went to Stardust discotheque in 1986. I was still a teenager and I spent my summer vacation in Indonesia (I am Indonesian living in Germany)! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, im Marfuza Alvianto Omar. Son of DJ Omar. He's still spinning til now! Reach him at +6281314561643 jakarta number. Proud son of legendary jkt DJ here

    ReplyDelete